Anya was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on October 15, 1982. She worked in advertising as a creative copywriter for eight years, and that’s how she discovered her love for creating ideas and working with images and writing.
Since 2008, she has self-published fourteen picture books in collaboration with Argentine illustrator Pablo Pino. She started with Lucia’Stories, a collection of books that encourage kids to be curious, to dream, to invent, and to use their imagination but after making a book on behalf of a cancer foundation to collect donations, everything changed. Te same year Anya created a book in collaboration with a department store to raise money for children in need during christmas and since then, she has continued to create picture books that contain important social messages and integrates these into larger projects with the support of several major brands of the Dominican Republic…
Her book projects include the following:
• A book written on behalf of a cancer foundation to collect donations by showing kids how important it is to help others.
• Two books written in collaboration with a department store to raise money for children in need during the Christmas season.
• A book written for a newspaper company to help promote learning the classic tales in a fun way.
• A children’s magazine that promotes nature, family, and no-technology adventures exploring a different country in every issue, filled with a lively, diverse cast of characters.
• A book to promote inclusion. In addition to the Gold Mom’s Choice Award, the book “SuperKids” has won a Gold Medal Moonbeam Award in 2015, a silver medal at the Independent Publisher Book Awards 2016, and two gold medals on the Elit Awards 2016.
In 2014, Anya was diagnosed with Chiary Malformation, a brain malfunction. After several surgeries, she is now a Chiary Warrior! This experience inspired her to make the project You are Super, around the book SuperKids, to create a world of inclusion. It was then that also she discovered her storytelling talent!
Anya began storytelling to her two-year-old son while she was recovering in bed. Now, she imports books from other countries and presents them in interactive storytelling performances that the whole family can enjoy together. She has discovered the power of storytelling to create a better tomorrow by affecting the way that children view the world around them … and she loves it!
Over the years, Anya has collected lots of picture books written in English and Spanish from all over the world. After lending books to a teacher friend a few times, Anya started thinking about lending to others. This inspired her to create a project to rent books from her collection. Through “Renta un Cuento“, families have the opportunity to enjoy reading as a daily routine with amazing children’s books curated by Anya that are sent to their homes every week.
Little by little, Anya has become a promoter of children’s literature in the Dominican Republic. She does storytelling in public spaces, visits schools, and even travels to other countries for presentations. She is a TEDx speaker and the proud mother of Max, a five-year-old boy.
Anya loves creating ideas and the whole process of working with talented people to build not just a book or a project, but to generate ideas that can make the world a better place.